It is also called the Unkapanı Köprüsü Bridge. This bridge is located in Istanbul, linking the Al Fateh and the Bioglu region to the Golden Horn. It is 477 meters long and 25 meters wide.
History of Ataturk Bridge
The bridge was first built in 1836 under the reign of Sultan Mahmud II. It was originally built as a wooden bridge to provide people with boat transport, which was then called Yahudi Köprüsü. It was also called the Mahmudiye Köprüsü bridge. The bridge was originally 400 meters long and 10 meters wide and was designed as a tipping bridge to allow the passage of large vessels.
In 1876, the bridge was rebuilt from iron. It was supervised by a French company. It reached a length of 480 meters, while its width increased to 18 meters. The cost of its construction amounted to 135,000 gold lira, which was then called Unkapanı Köprüsü bridge instead of bridge Mahmudiyah (the dismantled parts of Mahmudiyah Bridge were sold at auction). It continued in this period between 1875 and 1912 until it was demolished and then rebuilt.
The current bridge was built between 1936 and 1940, and is 477 meters long and 25 meters wide. It was called the Ataturk Bridge in 1935.