The palace, which symbolizes the splendor and prosperity over the ages, the cost of construction is about 35 tons of gold. Where six Ottoman sultans lived, as well as the first president of the new Republic of Turkey.
The historian and traveler Oleya Shalabi mentioned that there was a cell belonging to Sultan Salim during the reign of Sultan Ahmed I. The place was filled with stones and the building was expanded.
In the 19th century, Sultan Mahmud II built a palace in the same place. The present palace was built by the architect Garabit Balian in 1842 and ordered by Sultan Abdul Majeed the First.
The construction, which continued until 1853, was for the establishment of Sultan Abdel Meguid and for the administration of official affairs of the state. Sultan Abdul Aziz was also established after him. The palace, which was used as a republican palace after the proclamation of the republic, had an important place in the history of the Republic because of the death of Ataturk on October 10, 1938.
The main buildings in the palace are the Haramalk, the building of the tower, the Clock Tower and the Dolma Mosque. The palace has 285 rooms, 46 salons, 6 bathrooms and 68 toilets with an area of 110,000 m2. It was electrically lit and equipped with central heating in 1910. The sides of the building's staircase are decorated with crystal, giving it a view above the description. The throne salon was decorated with a huge crystal chandelier hanging on the 36-meter diameter dome, weighing 4 tons and consisting of 750 bulbs. The chandelier is Queen Victoria's gift.
The throne salon was inaugurated by the inauguration of the Ottoman House of Representatives inaugurated by Sultan Abdul Majid II on March 19, 1877. The Throne Hall can be seen from the corridor of the Haramal section, which consists of the blue hall for celebrations, the floral hall dedicated to women's entertainment, Mother of Sultan.
The clock tower at the entrance of the palace, which is 30 meters high, is said to have been built in 1895. The Dolma Bahja Mosque near the palace was built in 1853 by architect Nikos Balian.
In the back of the palace is a small cabin built in the 19th century for the birds of the Sultan, which contained many species of birds of that era.
The Palace is now a museum belonging to the presidency of the National Palaces Department.